On Writing Well
My own interpretations of the book by William Zinsser.
Ch. 1: The Transaction
The process of learning how to write is very different than being taught how to write. Zinsser demonstrates this with a panel of two writers: one, a professional, and two, a surgeon writing as a hobby. “There isn’t any one “right” way to do such personal work” (19). So, is this helpful in the writing process, not knowing how to best write? Well, it’s a process that can be learned and created. Continue reading
Infographic Resume and Website.
I have incorporated the purples of Furman to represent my education. I then tried to use mountains as my focal point and as an image that would connect the info-graphic to my own interests.
The Dining Hall, or maybe now the Delicious House, has undergone many changes in the past few weeks, causing students to stop and notice. This video highlights some of the many changes and addresses some of the reasons for why these changes have occurred.
“The Meaning of Composition”
By: Kress & Van Leeuwen
Composition of the Whole: “The way in which the representational and interactive elements are made to relate to each other, the way they are integrated into meaningful whole.”
- Information Value- placement of elements
- Salience- how to grab the viewer’s attention at different degrees
- Framing- signifying that images belong or do not belong together
- Left side of page for ex. obvious, ‘given,’ information
- Right side of page for ex. something you could have, the ‘new’
Elements of Graphic Design by:Allison Goodman
Thoughts by me, Katherine Boda
I really hope you just read the title of this post with the same inflection as you would for the phrase “lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!” It is completely irrelevant to this post, but nevertheless.
Well I don’t particularly enjoy planning things out on paper, or in this case, on the computer, but I am told that grids are essential.
- Keep it interesting. Keep a rhythm, but be dynamic.
- Draw what you want first, then plan your grid. Things will fall into place.
- Grid to create organization and a streamlined design. Make it easy for the audience.
The Archaeology of Knowledge and the Discourse on Language
By: Michel Foucault
"I am supposing that in every society the production of discourse
is at once controlled, selected, organized and redistributed according to.a certain
number of procedures, whose role is to avert its powers and its dangers,
to cope with chance events, to evade its ponderous, awesome materiality" (Foucault, pg. 216).
- Modern French Philosopher 1926-1984.
- Historian of Ideas.
- Studied truth and discourse.